Sinhalese national language and Sinhalese as a Second Language
Sinhalese speaking countries include both countries with Sinhalese national language and Sinhalese as a second language. Check if Sinhalese language is one of the Most Spoken Languages.
- Sinhalese is national language of Sri Lanka.
Compare Sinhalese speaking countries with spanish speaking countries on Sinhalese vs Spanish.
Second Language is a non-native language of the speaker, but used in the locality of that person.
- Sinhalese is second language of Sri Lanka.
The Sinhalese countries mentioned under Sinhalese Speaking countries are the countries where majority of people speak Sinhalese language.
Sinhalese as minority language
Countries with Sinhalese as minority language are also included in Sinhalese speaking countries.
- Sinhalese is not spoken as minority language in any of the countries.
Along with Sinhalese speaking countries check out Sinhalese speaking population. The language spoken by minority of the population of a territory is called minority language.
- Continent wise Sinhalese speaking countries mainly lie in Asia.
You can also explore more about all Oceania Languages which are spoken in Oceania Continent.
Sinhalese Regulator and Facts
Many world languages have one or more language regulators. The bodies that regulate standard languages are usually called language academies. Official organizations that regulate Sinhalese language are Sinhalese regulators. Sinhalese is regulated by Hela Havula (හෙළ හවුල). The regulatory bodies of Sinhalese lie in Sinhalese speaking countries. Some of the interesting facts of Sinhalese:
- In Sinhalese language, there are many loanwords from Dravidian languages mainly Tamil, Portuguese, Dutch and English.
- Sinhalese language has it own script/ writing system.
The Sinhalese language is derived from Sanskrit Language and is closely related to Maldivian Language.