Catalan national language and Catalan as a Second Language
Catalan speaking countries include both countries with Catalan national language and Catalan as a second language. Check if Catalan language is one of the Most Spoken Languages.
- Catalan is national language of Andorra, France, Italy, Spain.
Compare Catalan speaking countries with spanish speaking countries on Catalan vs Spanish.
Second Language is a non-native language of the speaker, but used in the locality of that person.
- Catalan is second language of Spain.
The Catalan countries mentioned under Catalan Speaking countries are the countries where majority of people speak Catalan language.
Catalan as minority language
Countries with Catalan as minority language are also included in Catalan speaking countries.
- Catalan is spoken as minority language in Aragon, France, Italy, Spain.
Along with Catalan speaking countries check out Catalan speaking population. The language spoken by minority of the population of a territory is called minority language.
- Continent wise Catalan speaking countries mainly lie in Europe.
You can also explore more about all Oceania Languages which are spoken in Oceania Continent.
Catalan Regulator and Facts
Many world languages have one or more language regulators. The bodies that regulate standard languages are usually called language academies. Official organizations that regulate Catalan language are Catalan regulators. Catalan is regulated by Institut d'Estudis Catalans, Acadèmia Valenciana de la Llengua, National Languages Committee. The regulatory bodies of Catalan lie in Catalan speaking countries. Some of the interesting facts of Catalan:
- Catalan is 6th most largely spoken Romance language.
- Catalan went through a golden age in low middle ages, reaching a peak of maturity and cultural richness.
The Catalan language is derived from Latin and is closely related to Spanish Language, Occitan Language, Italian Language, French Language.