Afrikaans and Portuguese as Minority Language
In Afrikaans and Portuguese speaking countries you will get the countries which have Afrikaans and Portuguese as minority language. The language which is spoken by minority of population in the country is called as minority language.
- Afrikaans as minority language: Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Portuguese as minority language: Australia, Daman and Diu, France, Germany, Goa, Italy, Japan, United States of America.
If you want to compare Afrikaans and Portuguese dialects, then you can go to Afrikaans vs Portuguese Dialects. Some of the official languages are also considered as minority languages.
Afrikaans and Portuguese Regulators
Afrikaans and Portuguese speaking countries provide you Afrikaans and Portuguese regulators which are the official organizations that regulate them. Die Taalkommissie, National Languages Committee regulates Afrikaans language.Portuguese is regulated by Academia Brasileira de Letras (Brazilian Literary Academy), Academia das Ciências de Lisboa, Classe de Letras. Also get to learn, Afrikaans and Portuguese Language History.
Afrikaans and Portuguese Continents
Thinking about Afrikaans and Portuguese continents in which Afrikaans and Portuguese speaking countries are present. Check out more information on Afrikaans and Portuguese. Most of the Afrikaans speaking countries lie in Africa. While Portuguese speaking countries lie in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, South America. Continentwise, most of the languages belong to Asian Languages and African Languages. It's always fun to know about interesting facts of any language, so lets discuss about unknown facts of Afrikaans and Portuguese languages:
Afrikaans Interesting Facts:
- Afrikaans Language is a mixture of English, Dutch, German, French and some South African language like Xhosa.
- Afrikaans Language lacks case and gender distinctions.
Portuguese Interesting Facts:
- Portuguese language has absorbed many words from French, Italian, Arabic and also from indigenous South American and African languages.
- The first written document in Portuguese language was found in the 12th century.
The Afrikaans language was derived from Dutch Language and is similar to Dutch Language whereas Afrikaans language is similar to Spanish and Galician Languages and derived from Latin.