German national language and German as a Second Language
German speaking countries include both countries with German national language and German as a second language. Check if German language is one of the Most Spoken Languages.
- German is national language of Germany.
Compare German speaking countries with spanish speaking countries on German vs Spanish.
Second Language is a non-native language of the speaker, but used in the locality of that person.
- German is second language of North Dakota, United States of America.
The German countries mentioned under German Speaking countries are the countries where majority of people speak German language.
German as minority language
Countries with German as minority language are also included in German speaking countries.
- German is spoken as minority language in Czech Republic, Denmark, Former Soviet Union, France, Hungary, Italy, Namibia, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia.
Along with German speaking countries check out German speaking population. The language spoken by minority of the population of a territory is called minority language.
- Continent wise German speaking countries mainly lie in Europe.
You can also explore more about all Oceania Languages which are spoken in Oceania Continent.
German Regulator and Facts
Many world languages have one or more language regulators. The bodies that regulate standard languages are usually called language academies. Official organizations that regulate German language are German regulators. German is regulated by Council for German Orthography. The regulatory bodies of German lie in German speaking countries. Some of the interesting facts of German:
- One of the large group of Indo-Germanic languages is German.
- The second most popular Germanic language spoken today behind English is German language.
The German language is derived from Albanian Languages and is closely related to Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and English Languages.