Portuguese national language and Portuguese as a Second Language
Portuguese speaking countries include both countries with Portuguese national language and Portuguese as a second language. Check if Portuguese language is one of the Most Spoken Languages.
- Portuguese is national language of Portugal.
Compare Portuguese speaking countries with spanish speaking countries on Portuguese vs Spanish.
Second Language is a non-native language of the speaker, but used in the locality of that person.
- Portuguese is second language of United States of America.
The Portuguese countries mentioned under Portuguese Speaking countries are the countries where majority of people speak Portuguese language.
Portuguese as minority language
Countries with Portuguese as minority language are also included in Portuguese speaking countries.
- Portuguese is spoken as minority language in Australia, Daman and Diu, France, Germany, Goa, Italy, Japan, United States of America.
Along with Portuguese speaking countries check out Portuguese speaking population. The language spoken by minority of the population of a territory is called minority language.
- Continent wise Portuguese speaking countries mainly lie in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, South America.
You can also explore more about all Oceania Languages which are spoken in Oceania Continent.
Portuguese Regulator and Facts
Many world languages have one or more language regulators. The bodies that regulate standard languages are usually called language academies. Official organizations that regulate Portuguese language are Portuguese regulators. Portuguese is regulated by Academia Brasileira de Letras (Brazilian Literary Academy), Academia das Ciências de Lisboa, Classe de Letras. The regulatory bodies of Portuguese lie in Portuguese speaking countries. Some of the interesting facts of Portuguese:
- Portuguese language has absorbed many words from French, Italian, Arabic and also from indigenous South American and African languages.
- The first written document in Portuguese language was found in the 12th century.
The Portuguese language is derived from Latin and is closely related to Spanish and Galician Languages.